Thursday, June 24, 2010

Confused in the Corporate World

It’s been a long time since I've written in my blog but now that my routine is somewhat set it might be a good time to start.

So, since my last post I’ve graduated, gotten a job and 6 months into a rigorous year long program which tests my abilities as a high-tech consultant. My experience thus far has been stressful to say the least, but at the same time eye-opening. It’s quite interesting to see so many different types of people striving for one cause. No, it’s not career development. It’s to genuinely help our clients. I’ve gotten to know colleagues who give up their weekends and vacation hours to make sure our client’s message is heard and understood. One thing that has amazed me about my company is the genuine care. And as an Agency if we don’t feel a potential client is somebody we can help or be passionate about we’re honest. It’s great to be surrounded by such hardworking and determined people.

Of course, I miss being a student but being under deadlines that can make or break a company’s bank makes one learn so much to extensively. It’s not just about being organized but it’s about composure. Essentially, being a friendly nag to keep yourself out of tough situations is best. It’s a tactic I have yet to perfect.

Another element of the corporate world I have to work on is corporate business lingo. I’ve tried to get into the habit of inserting these in my daily routine but I find them oh so annoying. Here are some of my oh-so favorites:

Do you have Enough Bandwidth? – Whenever I’m asked this I feel like saying no, but it can be safely assumed I’m supposed to say yes. Especially when I’ve been briefed on the project for about an hour, I’m expected to do it.

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but… -- You know those people who are just too polite you know it can’t be real. Well, this is a perfect example.

Let’s Not Go Into “Solutions Mode” Yet – I will never understand this. I didn’t realize we had to be in a state of mind to solve a problem… plus shouldn’t companies always be in “solutions mode”?

Give 150% -- this is impossible and I’m unsure why it’s said in almost every other meeting.

It is what it is – well, duh. What else would it be?

Let’s take a step back – it’s great when this is said when everyone’s sitting in a conference room.


Perhaps all these corporate clichés are just put in place to make people sound polite while they’re actually not.

Hopefully, I’m able to learn to elegantly handle stress both at home and at work. As for now, I’ll write it off as a learning process and continue to try to fine tune the art of composure and clichés in this corporate world.

No comments:

Post a Comment